A fantasy writing forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: October Monthly Contest: "On a dark and stormy night..."
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:00 pm 
Head Librarian
Head Librarian

Highscores: 184
This is how the monthly contest works. I set a topic (usually the first topic of the month, but I may choose differently). Then members will have until the end of that month to post on it. After the month ends, I will pick the entry I liked the most. Also, there will be a poll with all the entries entered that month, open to all members for one week. Whichever entry gets the most votes will also win. The winners will each be rewarded a $5 online gift certificate of their choosing. If one member wins both my pick and the members' choice, they will receive a $10 gift certificate. Amazon.com is the default size, but if there is another site the winner would prefer, we can try to work something out.

Incase you are wondering, I will not need any personal information for this, only the email address you wish it to be sent to. Also, if you are from a country that has it's own Amazon site (like Canada has Amazon.ca and Japan has Amazon.jp), feel free to let me know and I will make the gift certificate from that site. I will send a message to the winner after announcing them and ask for the email address.

Other example sites you can redeem your prize from:
2 months paid livejournal
2 monthly items from Gaia
1 exotic credit or 1 donation box from UniCreatures/UniFaction
any site that has gift certificates of $5

If a winner does not accept their prize within one month, it will go to the second place and so on.

This month's topic is: "On a dark and stormy night...". All posts must be submitted in this thread by midnight October 31st EST.

Good luck and have fun! I can't wait to read your posts!!

Post subject: Sleepless
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:36 pm 
Daydreamer
Daydreamer

Augh, I'm so sorry this took so long to get up! D: School eats up my entire schedule orz ;A; And hopefully, I can enter next month's competition with a more polished piece /o\;; Thank you again for being so patient and understanding :<!

---

The mouth of it lines up at the base of his neck, hissing clicks signaling the end of a round. Tara is this close to smacking the override, fingers shaking from the effort of holding back.

“...why.” The word is partly a question, mostly a statement.

He stills and, ignoring the voice, turns to leave.

When they think he’s out of earshot, one of them whispers, “This’s gone on too long. Five moons and you’ve caught wind of nothing from’im?”

“He’ll break soon.”

Let them try.

-

It’s drizzling outside, short bursts of downpour followed by an irritating damp. At least, he assumes it’s irritating, considering he hasn’t been let out in months. Years? Too long.

-

There are people waiting for him out there, he’s sure of it.

He clenches his teeth as the surety rattles his bones, clawing its way down his throat until he’s doubled over with the effort of not- not screaming, not gagging, not picking up the nearest blaster and shutting down all those around him to finally get silence. Only he can’t breathe, and he should be more worried about that except--

-

Someone is grinding the bones in his fingers together and he wants them to stop. It hurts and his knuckles weren’t meant to move that way.

“Wake up,” is whispered, but he ignores it as he does all commands these days. Can’t be trusted.

Besides, he saw them slip sedatives into his meal yesterday and he couldn’t avoid all of the food or he’d risk (even more) suspicion. If he’s not opening his eyes on schedule, it’s not his problem.

-

They take him under there, again, where they threaten him, hoping he will break. He doesn’t, because he knows nothing, didn’t he already tell them when he first arrived?

-

S-stop going back there. Please. It’s killing m...you. It’s not worth it.

-

All he knows is nothing, since he requested a wipe before they sent him here.

-

Suffocating, each gasp shorter, the time drawn-out and threatening. Pressure on his ribcage then--

nothing

emptiness

-

Blaster at his temple this time, short bursts letting out whines as they stun him. Five seconds, ten seconds. He thinks he might have been out for a full minute there, but it’s hard to tell when they are his only reference and they don’t seem to move between shots.

They look shapeless in the dark of the room but he’s long memorized their faces. If he ever needs to track them down, he’s got everything about them.

-

He doesn’t even remember us when he comes back. What are they doing to him?

He hopes that whoever the voices are discussing gets some sense flung his way. It’s already too late for Tara.

-

They say they love him, that they’re only doing what’s best for him. But he feels like he’s being crushed under both of them, his palms slick with sweat from the heat building up inside this prison.

-

Wake up wake up wake up wakeupwakeupwakeup--

-

The shot streaks out like crackling lightning, a concentrated hit of pure energy. This has gone on much, much too long now. With a creaking shudder, the trigger springs back into place, and he takes aim at the one on the left this time, who collapses, shuddering.

Good, he thinks to himself, a vicious snarl on the heels of the word.

-

When he first came here, he had been given license to kill.

-

Give him time. He has to do this for himself and then he’ll return to us.

...fine.

A door slams in the background.

Tara, are you there? Can you hear me? I- I...don’t go. Don’t leave me.

-

What a nightmare. He potatoing hates them.

Post subject: Re: October Monthly Contest: "On a dark and stormy night..."
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:42 am 
Head Librarian
Head Librarian

Highscores: 184
That was a really good story, shadowpup88! Very interesting. :) Since you were the only one to submit anything to the October contest, you've automatically won a $10 gift certificate! Congrats! :)