A fantasy writing forum
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: #1 Minotaur (11/2/99)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:42 pm 
Head Librarian
Head Librarian

Highscores: 184
Hi, all. :) The new topic is: minotaur. Good luck and have fun! I can't wait to read your posts!!

JacLyn :)

Post subject: Re: #1 Minotaur (11/2/99)
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:11 pm 
Daydreamer
Daydreamer

Hi there ... here's a piece I did for this topic ages ago and posted on Fantasy Bits way back when. I just found it saved on my PC so I thought I'd pop it back in here :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the name of the Gods girl, stop that screaming!"

The deep voice rumbled from the chest of the minotaur as he loomed above the girl's hiding place.
She had wedged herself in between two rocks and dragged an old piece of sailcloth she had found over herself in the hopes of hiding from the monster she had heard stomping slowly down the ruined passage towards her. That the impromptue camouflage had failed was quickly made obvious when the minotaur's huge hand dragged the cloth away. That of course is when the screaming began.

The minotaur stood there impassively for a moment while the girl stared at him, shocked as much by the fact that he had spoken to her and invoked the gods as by his huge physical presence. And he was huge. Half as tall again as any man she had ever seen and twice as broad. He was covered in coarse brown hair salted with grey and great black horns, chipped and worn with age curled down from his head.

Taking advantage of the girl's sudden stunned silence, the minotaur spoke again. "Now then girl, you just come out of there. I'm not going to hurt you."

"Not going to hurt me? But you... but you... you're going to..." her voice died off as she stared at him.

"Yes yes," he rumbled, "no doubt you've been told that I was going to ravish you and then kill and eat you. Honestly, I don't know how you people get these ideas. Leaving aside the fact that I, like almost all of my people am a vegetarian and have never so much as tasted meat, I really can't understand why they think I'd be interested in mating with a female as scrawny and ugly as you."

Finally, she found her voice. "Ugly? ... "

"Oh I'm sure you're attractive enough to your own kind, but why do humans insist on thinking that males of other races are going to want to mate with human women? It just makes no sense."

"But ... they send in a girl every year. If you don't ... umm, what happened to them then?"

"Well obviously I can't just send them out again or everyone will know the truth. But there is a lovely little valley out the far side of these caves. They all live there. It is quite the little village by now. Come along with me and I will show you."

Stunned by the sudden unexpected change in her fate, the girl inched out of her refuge and followed the great figure down the passage.

Post subject: Re: #1 Minotaur (11/2/99)
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:01 am 
Head Librarian
Head Librarian

Highscores: 184
Here's an old post I wrote for this topic ages ago. :)

----

The minotaur stood at his post. A crisp breeze blew through his scraggly, whitish-grey fur and his sheepskin loincloth waved in the wind. His strong, powerful muscles were relaxed, but alert. In his left hand, stood his spear. The long wooden shaft was almost as tall as he was. Tied just below the spearhead with a leather thong, its three fawn-colored feathers floated in the breeze as if dancing to a forgotten melody. He stood watching. The rock under his hooves was cold to the touch, but the footing was solid. From his perch, the valley spread out before him. The mountain slid to a crumbly halt, where it drizzled into a meadow. The meadow gently flowed until it slipped between a winding treeline. The trees grew into a forest. The emerald tops were like a velvet blanket undulating in the air. A hoof moved slightly, creating a small scratch in the rock. The whistling wind blocked out all other sounds. The sky grew darker and still he watched, silent and motionless.

As the distant hills began to caress the slipping sun, a low rumbling escaped the minotaur’s lips. He leaned his head back and closed his eyes. His song of mourning had begun. It started as a single note, cascading into lonely riffs. It grew louder as he tapped the ache in his heart for the notes. The music soared and flew with wings of sorrow, dipping and twisting with unrelenting pain. It searched out the hollows in the mountains and resounded back with a harmony to the minotaur’s melody. His song was sweet with memories, yet bitter with loss. The power of it filled him and passed through him. Finally, as it slowed down, he slumped over as if a heavy weight pressed him. The last rays of the sun were just peaking over the horizon. His eyes opened and he fingered the turquoise beads wrapped around his right wrist. Suddenly, strength filled him again and he raised a fist to the dying sun, holding up her necklace. He defiantly shook his powerful arm as if showing that he would go on.

The shuffling of hooves was heard from behind him and the minotaur spun around, with hope gleaming in his eyes. He saw another minotaur approach and, unbelieving, he took one faithful step forward. As the minotaur drew closer, he looked away and the emotions flew from his eyes. They were now as dull as the beads in his hand. It was clear that the burly, dark-brown minotaur walking up the path was not her, nor would it ever be. It was his relief. When the other minotaur reached the top, they grunted a quick greeting, their clouds of breath briefly intermingling. Then the dark minotaur took his place and he walked down the path toward the camp with his head proudly raised. He clenched the old, worn beads between his fingers as if they were the most precious of gems.