Fantasybits

A fantasy writing forum
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: #269 Loss of concentration (2/5/04)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:39 pm 
Head Librarian
Head Librarian

Highscores: 184
Hi, all. :) The new topic is: loss of concentration. Good luck and have fun! I can't wait to read your posts!!

JacLyn :)

Post subject: Re: #269 Loss of concentration (2/5/04)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:18 pm 
Head Librarian
Head Librarian

Highscores: 184
Here's an old post I wrote for this topic ages ago. :)

----

"Can you *please* be quiet??" Lina yelled over the commotion in the hall. She dropped the tweezers holding the delicate fairie wing back down onto the table in frustration. She removed her graceful wire-rimmed glasses and placed her forehead in her hand.

"I am never going to finish this with all these distractions." She looked down at the small figurine modeled after an Effurian forest fairie on her desk. Every detail was exquisite, from the soft silken green shift to the gossamer hair embedded with tiny crystalline leaves. Lina looked down at the diaphanous wing and decided to take a break. "The celebration isn't until tomorrow afternoon. The queen can wait," she mumbled. The young woman sighed and leaned back in her chair, stretching her arms over her head. She stood and reached back to unleash the burnished bronze hair tied in a loose bun behind her head. Waves of hair flowed down her back and wafted into place as she dropped the velvet ribbon onto her desk. She strode to the door of her office and opened it and immediately received a light wrapping on her forehead.

"Oops. Sorry there, Lina. Didn't see you open the door," a tall, dark-haired man said. A rosy blush spread across his cheeks and he looked away.

"Of course not. I've only been holed away in my office finishing a present commissioned by the queen. Why would I open the door?" Lina mumbled to herself. She looked up and realized Ren was standing there and quickly covered her mouth in embarrassment.

"What was that?" A hurt expression covered the man's face.

"Oh, nothing. I'm sorry," Lina smiled. "Work has been tough. I've been importing materials from all over the kingdom and had to deal with delays. Then I have to craft something that has been only seen a handful of times except for ancient tapestries." She sighed. "I need a break. Care to walk with me?"

"Sure." Ren brightened and took her arm. Lina closed her office door softly and they strolled down the hall. "So, I take it the princess's present isn't going well?" Ren looked down at Lina curiously.

"It's not that it's not going well. The problem is the time it's taking and all the distractions. You'd think they could hold off on decorating the hall outside my office until it was finished," she said and glanced at the brightly colored garland and ribbons dangling from every corner.

"Well, you know the princess's sixteenth birthday is a big deal. She's finally coming into her powers. It's a big responsibility for her and an advantage for our kingdom." Ren watched the banners sway from a stray draft as they walked the long hall.

"Whatever is best for the kingdom, I guess." Lina shrugged. The clicks from their boots echoed down the empty hallway.

"Yah . . . " Ren gazed down and watched his steps as they walked. Lina looked at him curiously. A couple moments passed by in silence. Ren glanced at Lina and smiled. "So, how is the figurine coming?"

"Well, I'm just about done. I was just attempting to attach the wings before the decorating crew went on break. After that I have to paint the face and add the small details. Then the enchantment has to be laid and it's done." Lina and Ren discussed the figurine in detail as they progressed down the hall. Lina was so wrapped up in telling Ren about Ruscian enchantments that she didn't realize they had arrived at the strong wooden door.

"Wow. I can't believe we're here already. I get so distracted when I'm talking to you." She gave the handsome man a warm smile as he opened the door and lead her out. They continued talking outside in the warm sunshine.

Ren gazed into the distance and watched a pair of bluebirds dance in the cool afternoon sky. "Is something wrong, Ren? You seem very distracted today," Lina commented. She looked at him, concerned.

"Um, there is something I actually wanted to ask you." Ren peered down at the ground and shuffled his feet slightly. He fumbled with something in his pocket. His amber eyes rose and looked back at her. He smiled and opened his mouth to speak . . .

"Lina! Oh, there you are! I've been looking all over for you," Bral said as he walked down the path across the courtyard towards them. He waved at a small foothill and waited for her to join him.

"Hello, Bral! I'll be right there!" Lina flashed him a big smile and turned back to Ren.

"He's taking me out to lunch. He knows this little inn a village away that supposedly has the *best* meat pies," Lina explained to Ren. "Anyway, what were you going to say?"

"Um, it was nothing. Go with him and enjoy your lunch." Ren gave her a false smile and tried to appear casual.

"Okay, if you insist." Lina rose to her tiptoes and gave Ren a kiss on his cheek. "We'll talk more later. Thank you for walking me out." She smiled and squeezed his hand. Lina walked off to join Bral. They clasped hands and walked down the path and out the door at the farther wall.

Ren kicked at the dirt in frustration. "Why couldn't I tell her? Why couldn't I just ask her? Go enjoy your lunch with that giant oaf. What an idiot I am!" He kicked at the dirt again, then sighed and looked down the path Lina and Bral had followed. He removed his hand from his pocket and fingered the small velvet jewelry box. "What an idiot I am," he said to himself and gazed into the distance.